Monday, September 29, 2014

NEW LEARNING

          I realized something this week that amazed me:

       When I defend my assumptions or opinions in the face of others’ assumptions and opinions which are different from mine, I kick the amygdala in the brain into action. 

    When I say, in response to another, BUT…the amygdala pours adrenaline into my bloodstream ( It is all biology ) my voice rises, my eyes dilate and I’m in fight/flight mode.

         James E Zull, author of The Art of Changing the Brain, makes it clear that while the amygdala is at work, pumping adrenaline into the blood, synapses towards the front cortext of the brain are inhibited. No dendrites grow. No learning can take place. ( It is all biology! )

        If, in lieu of defense, I invite your explanation of your stated assumption, and say, humbly and honestly, I do not have that experience. Let’s talk further … I can be assured that my amygdala is quiet and my learning is possible. Synapses to the front cortext can occur and dendrites can grow. Dialogue has occurred.

        This is new learning for me! I am in awe at the design!


No comments:

Post a Comment